Wednesday 26 August 2015

Is the Stray a monoculture, part 2 ...




Here's a very interesting and useful response to my amateurish attempts to identify this fungus which I photographed on the Stray, from my friend David Swindell:

"Without a doubt it's inkcap, Toni, one of my favourites, unmistakeable. If smooth rather than shaggy you shouldn't drink any alcohol with them - won't poison you, but might make you feel very ill - used in cures for alcoholics. We once gathered pounds of them in Andover, and in the Falklands they tasted a little bitter. The condition of the ones you photographed is perfect for picking. Don't wash them, peel them if you must though that isn't necessary either, split down the middle and fry gently in hot, garlicked butter."

I still take the "don't do this at home" approach to identifying fungi.



Nothing to do with monoculture - this poster is still on the Stray. I thought it had been removed. ???


1 comment:

  1. It was quite definitely removed last week but obviously the Fair have put it back. I will report it again. It seems the fair does not respect the rules of the Stray. The protective matting area is looking bad again and there does seem to be many more heavy vehicles this time. I think it is time the Council cracked down and told the fair that they must abide by the law or find a new site.

    ReplyDelete