Friday 21 August 2015

Lunch at the West Park

It was nice. No, honestly, it was. My companion and I had the seafood sharing platter, she had a glass of white wine, we both had coffee to finish (mine a double espresso, hers a latte). Things that should be hot were hot, things that should be cold were cold. There were scallops in their shells with a sort of cheesy crunchy topping, goujons, prawns, smoked salmon, brown bread and butter, lemon, sauces, and other stuff that I've probably forgotten, The service was unobtrusive and professional, the environment was pleasant and comfortable (a bit noisy, but not enough to be a nuisance), the view over the Stray was lovely. There was really nothing not to like.



My problem with it was just that - it was nice, it felt like a standard product that was produced to a consistent standard (and what do I expect in a fairly big hotel/restaurant?) and it felt to me as though there was something lacking, though I'm really not sure what.

Though I do know that, to compare chalk with cheese (such a weird expression), I much preferred the Jamaican street food at 10 Devonshire Place - far less professional, much more fun, and to me it tasted better.

I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

No comments:

Post a Comment